by Pastor Bob Dealey
One of the things that I have heard over and over again since I have been here is: “Shepherd of the Hill is a
congregation that has tremendous potential”. Usually, the very next comment is something like “I don’t understand
why we haven’t fulfilled our potential”. I suspect there may be an element of truth to that statement.
With that in mind, here is a comment I heard recently by a speaker: “Our potential is best realized by setting
worthwhile goals”. If that is true, then it seems that that comment raises three questions for us:
- What is our “potential” as God’s people?
- What is it that we must or can do to “realize our potential”?
- What are God’s “worthwhile goals” for us?
I invite you to reflect on those three questions and how they relate to your own personal life. I would like to
place before you some “worthwhile goals” for you to consider.
Worthwhile Goals to Consider
As you consider the following goals, ask yourself these questions:
- Is this a “worthwhile goal”--something in which I am willing to invest my time, my effort and my energy?
- Is this something in which God is calling me to become involved as I seek to “realize God’s potential for me”?
- How will this goal enrich my life or the lives of those around me?
- Invite people to become involved in a personal Bible study on a regular basis.
- Encourage some of our youth to consider a career in professional church work.
- Attend worship services on a weekly basis.
- Seek to become involved in the ministry of the church in a new way.
- Invite an unchurched friend or acquaintance to attend a church event with you.
- Serve as a volunteer that does church-related community service.
- Organize a group of people to do a “mission project”.
- Visit someone who is hospitalized and/or home-bound.
- Bring a care casserole to someone.
- Send a card or telephone someone who needs to be cheered up.
- Do something that will show others that you love Jesus.
The list could go on, but you get the point. The bottom-line is this: God is calling us to many worthwhile ministries. How will we respond? These are things that you might want to consider. What worthwhile goal will I resolve to do this year?
Your partner in Christ,
Pastor's Message Archives
You may contact Pastor Dealey at the church, (815) 838-0708 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org